Friday, September 09, 2011

something new in food

So since reading about some friends who have basically started their own small farm in their back yard and hearing about their milking their goat and preserving peaches, I've also found myself happening upon several food blogs and books. I'm not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination. But I do want to be a bit more cognizant of what foods I am eating and will eventually be feeding my daughter.

In my previous post I mentioned the zucchini I got at a local farmer's market. I love the idea of canning and preserving and eating local and fresh foods. But I haven't made the time to put in the effort to really making meals this way. Since I am not working right now, I figured I could at least put in a bit of time. So I have cooked a few things and been to the farmer's market and am looking at trying some new things.

I have told myself I will NOT go about my usual pattern of diving in head first and immediately disappointing myself and giving up. Let's face it...I have a baby and a lot of laundry to do and I am still going to be eating frozen dinners sometimes! But I want to try to eat better both for my family and for my running. Eating better will make me a better runner. Well, maybe not if I make cookies, but you get the idea.

So I've added a food links section and will add things that grab me. Next thing might be making some Grandmother Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment