Saturday, August 21, 2010

On

It's the end of another week of training. And I'm tired.

Tuesday after work I met up with my teammates in Central Park for hill repeats. Don't know what that is? It is pretty much like what it sounds like...run up a hill almost as fast as you can, then do it again. We followed that with finishing off about four miles. Then Gatorade! I don't know where the new flavors come from but I was introduced to lemonade flavored Gatorade, which may have been the highlight of the evening, other than running with Meghann and chatting about her wedding that is next month!

After the workout, on the way home, I was feeling a little down. I really enjoy my team and I feel like making more of the group runs this year will help me improve. But I feel a little guilty. I worry that my lack of speed holds others up. And I realize that when I'm in the group, I am extremely aware of my discomfort with my speed and the shape of my body. BUT I also realize that NOT pushing myself or NOT working harder certainly isn't going to make me faster or fitter. So onward!

Today I finished out the week with a 14 mile run. I started off well, planning to go slowly and just git 'er done. The weather was good and I had my Gatorade and Power Gels lined up on my porch. I've increased the run part of my run/walk intervals. Of course, I faded after the first five, and dragged myself through the final four, including a trip of course into a park to refill a water bottle. As I walked toward it, I was desperately hoping it worked. And it did! Oh sweet clear liquid! I really needed it, too. I'm not sure I would have made the whole run without it.

I got home and hopped (okay, let's be real...there is no "hopping" after running 14 miles but you get the idea) into an ice bath with a tall glass of chocolate millk. Actually, I started running the bath, set the glass next to the tub, and went to finish my stretching. Apparently my cat needed a carbo-boost because I caught her drinking my post-workout recovery beverage! Bad cat!

Next week's plan is: 25 miles, 2 cross-training sessions, 2 strength training sessions. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment